Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Living a double life


Summer on Phillip Island and winter in outback Queensland, Australia, gives me home environments and a lifestyle rich beyond belief. It's this lifestyle I'd like to share with you.


At present, Doug and I are living in the small sunny town of Mitchell, in outback Queensland.


Our animal family consists of two German shepherds, Katie a 13-year-old Siamese cat, and a 38-year-old stumpy-tailed lizard called Stego. Del is Doug's dog, a beautiful short-haired gold and black shepherd. Major Mitchell is my dog. He was born and bred in Mitchell (hence his name), is predominantly black and has a glamour coat. Major is an old-style German shepherd, meaning he's huge for a 12 month old dog, very solid in structure and very stable in temperament. Every afternoon we walk along the Maranoa River and over the bridge and back.

Doug and I have been married for 43 years. A love of animals and the environment are common passions, but we have differences too. Doug has a keen interest in restoring old motorcycles and I have a career as a writer, with 16 books published to date - mainly about animals and chemical free living. I'll let you into the secrets of how Mitchell 'ticks' in future blogs.


No comments:

Post a Comment