Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A river and the bush: Outback QLD, Australia

One of my greatest pleasures is to walk along the banks of the Maranoa River, cross at the Old Crossing (yes, my feet get wet!), say "Hello" to my egret friend,







then wander through the bush of this semi-arid region.

At first glance all seems blue-grey in colour and the same. On closer inspection though, all sorts of different trees and shrubs emerge and I find myself learning new botanical names and recording the appearance of each specimen using water colour paints and brushes.

One of my favourite trees is the Bimble box (Eucalyptus populnea, also called poplar box because of the distinctive poplar shape of its leaves).  Bimble box leaves are round and glossy dark green on both sides. As sunshine catches their surface, they shine and shimmer.  Whenever a breeze plays in the treetops the leaves of the Bimble box play a soft subtle tune – the music of the bush. 

After rain, the combined smell of eucalyptus and warm red earth fill my nostrils.  Along along with Bimble box music, all my senses are activated.

I feel whole.

PS
The third and fourth photos show the Maranoa River, over the road from our home.


No comments:

Post a Comment