Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Glenda matches people with books

Although the Mitchell Library does not contain the number of books found in libraries servicing larger populations, we do have a librarian who knows the individual interests of the people of Mitchell and surrounds. As a result, Glenda offers a unique service not often found in larger areas.

Ordering in books for particular people is something Glenda likes to do, then she offers them as surprise gifts of the mind. The latest -- for me -- was a recently published book about Charles Darwin, a subject I'm particularly interested in. Sometimes I'll wander into the library, my mind blank as to the fiction and I want to read, and I'll say to Glenda, "Can you recommend something?" And knowing me she'll choose a selection of books that I'm sure to enjoy. It is Glenda's ability and willingness to match people with books that makes her such an excellent librarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment