Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Adult Literacy

Although I've taught adult literacy students in other places we've lived, today was my first student from Mitchell. I like to teach one on one and in my own home, sitting at the kitchen table with my bonsai bottle tree in the centre and sunshine spilling through the north-facing window into the sitting area. That way I achieve the best results. It is such a thrill to be able to give adults improved reading and writing skills. Building confidence in a relaxed home setting is the key to success, I believe. Katie Siamese, stretched out in the sun, and Del and Major sprawled beneath the table create an atmosphere conducive to learning. There is nothing so relaxing as stroking a dog or cat, and relaxation is the key to unlocking past blockages in learning.

Today is still, sunny and 30°C, whereas on Phillip Island it's windy with showers, and a high of 11°C. This is one of the many reasons we choose to live in Mitchell over winter and spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment