Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Before sitting down at my computer each morning to write, I sketch some part of a plant. This is a lovely way to begin every new day. I use pencil, pen and watercolour. My aim is to learn to draw (this is not a natural talent!) and also to learn about the vegetation of this semi-arid region -- which is new to me. Today's sketch is of a Eucalyptus rhodantha seed case. This exotic dish-shaped fruit was collected from the gardens surrounding the Parkes Radio Telescope. Was this plantation grown because the fruits resemble The Dish? Does anyone know? Six young rhodantha trees await planting in our garden, all grown by Doug from seed he collected at Parkes. The thick greyish-silver leaves suggest they will tolerate the severe frosts and dryness of Mitchell's climate.
Today's task has been to do a printout of my book Double Life. Interestingly, hard copy is my editor's preference for her first read through. Double-spaced, it took a huge number of pages -- being approximately 120,000 words in length. Tomorrow it will be posted from Queensland to Tasmania.

No comments:

Post a Comment