Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Community and trees

Never before have I lived in a community where I know so many people and where every day there is at least one social event organised. Differences are recognized yet accepted; people are friendly without being intrusive. With a population of about 700 people, I think Mitchell is the ideal size.

Today, my attention is drawn to the tall silky oak living in our garden. Silky oaks thrive in the semi-arid region of Mitchell and likewise in our garden. Today, the seeds -- nestled within elegant dark brown pods -- are releasing their winged seeds. Perhaps frost is the trigger. My mind fast tracks to spring when these same trees burst into golden blooms rich with nectar: a gift for the honeyeaters and flying foxes that flock to the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment