Sunday, April 1, 2012

Music or Nature: that's the question







This afternoon we attended an orchestral concert at the Cowes Cultural Centre, with music played by the Maroondah Symphony Orchestra. The orchestra was made up of 53 musicians, with a brilliant violin soloist, Roy Theaker.

Our program included works by Beethoven, Brahms, Haydn and Tchaikovsky. I'm in awe of the musicians' passion and skill -- especially since my own attempts on the keyboard, guitar and marimba are so very basic.

A walk along the beach afterwards changed the sounds in my head from loud classical music to the gentle splash of waves and the eerie cry of gulls. While the dogs swam and played in the shallows, I combed the seashore for treasures. Always I find something of interest -- a rock formation, sea urchin, shark egg case or sponge.

Although I admire the skill of the musicians and appreciate their excellent performance, I realise I'm more of a Nature Girl. The beauty of the natural world feeds my mind and emotions -- let's me be whole; lets me feel at one with all that surrounds me.

No comments:

Post a Comment