Thursday, January 27, 2011

Capturing bulbous bottle trees on paper


Drawing is not something I'm naturally good at; however, I love art and have the desire to learn how to draw native plants and trees -- using watercolour pencils. I began in Mitchell, sketching the plants of the arid outback, and now, on Phillip Island, I'm attempting to draw the coastal vegetation.



This past week or so, I've been trying to capture the bulbous bottle trees that grow in outback Queensland. They are so quaint, so unique! With several on the go, I'm experimenting after consigning last week's attempts to my waste bin. Learning to play the guitar is my other current challenge. I'm learning from a book and with daily practice I am improving.



For the past three years I've concentrated all my energy on writing a book about our double life. As the book is now complete and currently with my editor over January, I have the space, time and energy for art and the guitar. It makes a change and a challenge -- but more importantly, I'm enjoying these new pursuits far beyond my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment