Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A tsunami coming towards the island -- a children's story


Every now and then, as I gaze out over the bay towards the Mornington Peninsula, I see the distant land mass as a tsunami coming towards the island. I know my imagination works overtime, but this, combined with a dream, has ended up as a book.


A chance encounter on the beach -- several years ago -- led to a friendship and the idea for a children's story which was recently published as an ebook. The conversation I had that day revolved around a dream. Janet, who has a holiday house near us, dreamed that her father put a dinghy on the roof of their house which they used to escape from a tsunami that swept over the island. It was an idea I played around with for several months, finally writing a rough copy on paper. Countless drafts later I had a story written for eight to 12-year-olds.


Using the online publisher Smashwords, I've published it myself as an e-book, and now anyone can read it, with no cost involved. So please feel free to go to: http://www.smashwords.com/ , type the word Tsunami in the search panel, enjoy the story and share with friends.

Now, every time I meet Janet, I remember our first conversation and think: tsunami, before going on to talking about subjects of a more normal nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment