Sunday, February 27, 2011

Walking with my dog, Major Mitchell


Over the years I've tried many different forms of relaxation: from meditation to yoga, tai chi, music, gardening, reading and walking, to name but a few. For me, the most successful is walking with my dog.


As I walk, my mind drifts into a space where, after 15 minutes or so, internal chatter dies down and calm descends. The rhythm helps, along with the pleasure of being in a natural environment.


When we live on Phillip Island (during summer and autumn) the beach is where I walk. Then, during winter and spring, I walk along the banks of the Maranoa River in Mitchell, outback Queensland.

Every day I walk for at least 30 minutes. I seem to need this space to clear my head and come up with ideas for my writing, as well as solutions to problems. Walking with my dog -- Major Mitchell -- is good for my body and mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment