Monday, July 18, 2011

Snow White the egret at home on the Maranoa



Pretending to be a statue, Snow White the egret gazes across the river, meeting my gaze in unspoken communication. This is her river, the mighty Maranoa, a river flapping with fish.

Every evening, as Major and I walk along the river, I make a point of looking for this special egret-- and then pause to say, 'Hello'. This routine has been going on for five years, and although I can't be sure, I believe I'm seeing the same bird.

A truly expert fish catcher, Snow White doesn't need a huge territory in order to have sufficient to eat. She lives in and around the Mitchell road bridge, with her favourite snags bordering the large pool downstream of the bridge. It is here where I usually catch sight of her, and often I see her reflection in the water. The photo I've included is the best I can do with my camera. Unfortunately the focus is not good, but it does give you an image of this special bird.

In flight, she looks magnificent; and when swooping to catch a fish, her dive is swift and accurate. I love to see the fish go down her long neck; and then see her stretch out one long leg -- as graceful as a ballerina.


No comments:

Post a Comment