Friday, September 9, 2011

Where the Olives Grow


In 2002, Doug and I spent three weeks in Italy, living in a stone house in the hills north of Assisi. It was here that I researched a book about St Francis and his gift with animals.

While driving around the countryside I fell in love with olive trees, especially the ancient twisted trees so full of character. So began my habit of planting an olive tree wherever we live. Consequently, I have two thriving specimens, one in Mitchell outback Queensland, and the other down south on Phillip Island in Victoria. Both trees are now well over head height. I've pruned them to have a single trunk with a well shaped canopy, and it's my hope that in 100 years time they give people pleasure.

At the recent Landmark Art Show -- held in Mitchell -- I saw an oil painting titled 'Where the Olives Grow' created by Heather Wehl of Emerald (Qld). I fell in love with it!

The art show finished today so the painting is now hanging in our home here in Mitchell. I chose the position carefully, finally hanging it in the sun room where I'll see it often. Olive trees need lots of sun!


No comments:

Post a Comment