Saturday, January 21, 2012

Purple excrement: a clue!









One of the most intriguing things I learned while researching Charles Darwin (for a children's book I was asked to write called 'Charles Darwin's Big Idea') was the way everything in Nature is interconnected. Life on earth is like a web.

On our walk to the beach I've been noticing that the seaberry saltbush (Rhagodia baccata) is bursting into bright reddish-purple berries, brought on by warmer days. Set against the green-grey of the coastal vegetation, this splash of colour is a welcome sight.

Birds are feasting on the berries, as evidenced by the splashes of purple excrement left on the boardwalk and along the bush track.

PS
I've included a photo taken from Opal Point, the furthermost part of our daily walk with the dogs. You can see the distinctive hump of The Nobbies, which was the feature of my past two blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment