Saturday, December 3, 2011

Water self-sufficiency on Phillip Island





The town water provided on Phillip Island contains at least 10 different chemicals because the catchment comprises dairy country where cow manure and the effluent from dairies drains into the reservoir.

For this reason, we've chosen to install a 25,000 L tank which collects rainwater from the house and shed roofs. With an annual rainfall of around 28 inches (700ml) we've never run out of water; in fact, we've never fallen below the half-way level. Because of this, I indulge myself with long showers and never skimp in my use of water. But we don't waste water either, nor do we use it in the garden. Our garden is planted with native trees and hardy shrubs that don't need watering.

We have a water filter attached to a tap in the kitchen to eliminate any of the 'nasties' that could come from the roof, and we usually boil the water as well. The idea of being self-sufficient in water appeals to me.

On the other hand, I enjoy the artesian water we drink and shower in while living in Mitchell. I believe the mineral content is very beneficial, health-wise.

PS
Apologies about The Dish photo. I got the numbers mixed and don't know how to delete.

No comments:

Post a Comment