Monday, April 18, 2011

Outback Australia is all around and within us



Our lunchtime stopover at Bollon (located on the Wallum Creek) revealed a small but truly beautiful weir bordered by huge river red gums and a walking track.


A working bee was in progress, repairing the path, taking away flood debris and replanting the garden beds with native shrubs. All age groups were involved, from four-year-olds to the elderly.


Bolon is a friendly town that welcomes travellers. It's also a tidy town where the community of around 100 people pull together in adversity and work together to create pleasant surroundings for themselves and travellers who passed through.


Back on the road again I felt sleepy, and since I was not driving, I drifted off to sleep. When I awoke, huge skies and vast horizons met my eyes. On approaching the larger township of Cunnamulla, sunshine seemed to fall from a larger than normal sun.


Such is outback Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment