Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Pincushion hakeas and yabbies



This morning I attempted to sketch a pincushion hakea (Hakea laurina) -- using watercolour pencils. The leaves and seed case turned out okay, but not the flower. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it right. So it 's away now and I feel discouraged. Maybe photography is more my thing?

On a brighter note, I found this dry yabby skeleton on a sand bank in the Maranoa River, in Mitchell. With touches of blue and iridescent green/purple, it would have been a magnificent creature. It reminds me of the yabby I once kept as a pet. His name was Yowie, and he became quite tame and showed remarkable intelligence.

When I gave him a slice of carrot and he wanted to take it into his cave to eat, but it wouldn't fit through the doorway, he tipped it up onto its side and rolled it through the doorway like a wheel.
After keeping him in a large aquarium on our kitchen table for nine months I let him go in a dam on our property. I like to think he lived a long life.

No comments:

Post a Comment